Released: November 9, 2019
Length: 10 hours
Certificate: Finish lessons and pass the quiz with 80%
Tags: Leadership, Life Skills
Welcome to the Parenting class.
One of my favorite sayings is this one: “In the life of every problem there is a time when it is big enough to see yet small enough to solve.” It's an exaggeration, it's not true for every problem, but it is certainly true for a vast majority of adults. Character problems, self-desctructive behavior, bad habits are problems that are very hard to deal with as adults even when an adult is willing to admit to them, but they are a lot easier to correct in a child.
Alan and Meg Jones will be presenting the class. Alan leads Firebrand Church in Gig Harbor, Washington. Alan and Meg have lead children's ministries and parenting classes in various churches before starting Firebrand. they have about 15 years of Christian ministry experience. They have one son, Daniel who currently is a senior in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Washington.
This class will run for 6 weeks. The aim the class is to impart biblical truth on parenting and to leave you with practical principles that you can apply in your family.
- To give parents, both moms and dads, a new love and commitment towards the noble cause of parenting. Parenthood it is more exciting, challenging & meaningful than any sport or hobby. And, when it's done right, it is one of the most rewarding endeavours, second only to marriage.
- To build a ground-swell of like-minded families.
- 3 To give moms & dads an understanding of the magnitude of their task.
- 4 To equip parents. the job of parenting is not an easy one. Parents should feel that they know what to do.
Method - each lesson has 3 to 5 videos, both moms and dads (where they are together) will watch and discuss the content, we will meet as a class each week to discuss the material. The class also has an Online Discussion Group which you can access here:
1. An Ethical Foundation
2. Marriage First - Mom and Dad
3. Respect and Obedience - What is Rebellion?
4. Gender - Boys and Girls
6. Repentance and Forgiveness - How to build restoration and reconciliation as life skills
There are four things that you need to know before we start:
- Fathers - This is a course for both parents where that is possible, it is not a course just for mothers. The attack on biblical maleness in our society is enormous, especially in the male role of fathering. - Society today would like to tell you that fatherhood is redundant. - The ethical model for families we see in the bible is clearly for the role of fathers as servant leader. This role is not an optional one, it is a pivotal role without which any society is destined to collapse. - We aim for dads feel excited to be fathers, to dismantle the feelings of guilt and inadequacy, to help them feel alive!
- Single parents - There is a huge need for useful guides for single moms and dads. This course aims to equip and encourage them.
- Accountability and Relationship - There are many good books and courses available on parenting. The most useful being your own bible. We believe though that long term accountability and relationship are the two things that books can’t offer. - Accountability and relationship work within the context of a local church.
- This class requires a FREE registration to Firebrand. Complete the quizzes at the end with a passing mark of 80% or higher, and receive a certificate.
If you sign up for this course take get to know each other, We are all involved in a process none of us are expert parents. Pray for each other, be careful not to gossip or judge other parents or their children.
Gal 6:4 “Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else,”
Alan and Meg the lead Firebrand Church in Gig Harbor, Washington in the USA.
They were married in 1993 and have one son Daniel.
Toward the end of 2009 Alan, Meg and Daniel moved to Gig Harbor from Johannesburg, South Africa where Alan served on the eldership team at Cornerstone Church in Johannesburg for 8 years.
In October 2014 Alan and Meg started Firebrand Church together with a team of people.